So chocolatey and so yummy! I mean, come on, it’s Nutella, right? This 3-layer dream chocolate cake with Nutella buttercream frosting is an ideal weekend treat or special occasion dessert. It will take you just 30 minutes to prepare it, plus around 30 minutes to cook. Try this wonderful recipe and surprise your family and friends:
For the chocolate cake layers:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup strong black coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For Nutella buttercream frosting:
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans. leave aside.
- In the bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt until thoroughly incorporated.
- Next, apply eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed for around 2-3 minutes or until you get a thin batter.
- Spread batter evenly into 3 prepared pans. Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes; then, remove cakes from pans and wrap every layer firmly in saran; return to pan (this will help protect shape).
- In the meantime, prepare the Nutella frosting. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed beat butter until creamy.
- Decrease speed to lowest setting. Pour heavy cream, Nutella hazelnut spread, vanilla extract, and salt and slowly beat until well combined.
- Gradually apply powdered sugar and butter whisking at low speed until incorporated. Mix at high speed 2 minutes or until fluffy and creamy. Add more heavy cream or sugar as needed in order to adjust for desired consistency. You should get a nice, thick, smooth yet spreadable mixture.
- To assemble, divide the frosting into 3 equal parts into 3 bowls. Then, arrange 1 cake layer on a serving plate or cake stand. Spread one-part frosting. Repeat with the remaining layers and frosting (finishing with frosting). Slice and serve.