Amazingly delicious, well moist, and rich…this Bailey’s chocolate tres leches cake is a perfect weekend or holiday choice! It’s similar to chocolate icebox cake with an improved taste. Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 2/3 cup (3 oz.) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (1 oz.) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, separated yolks from white (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream liqueur
- 1/3 cup whole milk
For the soaking liquid:
- 1 can (12-oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14-oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Baileys Irish Cream liqueur
For the topping:
- 2 ¾ cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings or cocoa powder, for garnish
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 by 13-in. nonreactive metal pan or a Pyrex baking dish. Line the baking pan/dish with parchment and butter the parchment. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- Apply the egg yolks in a large bowl and add ¾ cup sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium until you get a creamy and pale mixture, around 2 minutes. Then, pour the milk and Baileys and continue beating until blended, around 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form (2 minutes). Apply the remaining ¼ cup sugar and continuing whisking on high for 1-2 minutes more.
- Apply around 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the yolk mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed. Then, using a rubber spatula, gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites. Whisk in the remaining dry ingredients and egg whites until fully combined.
- Next, pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 22-25 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 45 minutes at room temperature before soaking. In the meantime, prepare the soak.
To make the cake:
- In a large saucepan, pour the evaporated milk, condensed milk, heavy cream, and Baileys. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until it starts to bubble around the edges, around 3-5 minutes. Take out from the heat and transfer into a large cup or bowl.
- With a skewer, prick the cake to the bottom in 1/2-in. intervals. Spread the soaking liquid equally over the cake (start at the edges and pause in order to let it soak in before pouring more).
- Using a plastic wrap, cover it loosely and refrigerate until well chilled (about 3 hours and up to 24 hours).
To top the cake:
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, whisk the heavy cream.
- When it starts to thicken, gradually add the vanilla and sugar; continue whisking just until firm peaks, 3 to 4 minutes (make sure not to overbeat).
- To finish, spread the whipped cream all over the top of the Bailey’s chocolate tres leches cake. Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate shavings or dust with cocoa powder. Slice and serve.