If you like tiramisu dessert, then this chocolate tiramisu will satisfy your taste buds! Rich and creamy and very easy to prepare – this recipe is definitely one of my favorite desserts that I usually prepare for weakened of holidays. As an Italian, I really like to experiment with the classic Italian desserts and this one is just perfect. Here is the recipe:
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (melted, slightly cooled)
- 2 ½ cups (16 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 48 savoiardi/ladyfingers
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened (plus some more for garnish)
For garnish (optional):
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Shaved chocolate
- In a large mixing bowl, put the egg yolks and sugar l, and set it over a pot of hot water. Whisk and cook (for around 5 minutes) until you get a pale and thick mixture, which is doubled in volume.
- Remove from the heat, and add in the mascarpone, vanilla, melted chocolate, and salt. Combine. Then, beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold it into the chocolate batter. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cocoa and hot water together. One at a time, dip the savoiardi/ladyfingers into the cocoa mix and apply in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan. Line the savoiardi/ladyfingers up in 2 straight rows of 12. Place 1/2 the filling over them, and repeat the method.
- To finish, spread the remaining filling on top and put in the fridge until ready to serve. Before serving, dust some cocoa powder and top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate (if desired).