Extremely chocolatey, rich, and creamy, this European chocolate layer cake is a dream-dessert for all chocolate lovers out there! Simple and easy to prepare, this cake is perfect for birthdays and other special occasions because everybody will like it! Try this recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 ¾ cups Guinness (or another similar stout)
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened cocoa powder (if possible Dutch-process)
- 4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter
- 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 ¾ cups sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 4 large eggs
For the icing:
- 1-pound dark chocolate (no more than 70% cocoa), chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter and line with parchment paper 3 eight-inch round cake pan with two-inch-high sides. Then, butter the paper.
- In a large saucepan, pour the stout and butter and heat over medium heat; bring to simmer. Then, apply the cocoa powder and stir until you get a smooth mixture. Remove and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In another large bowl, beat the sour cream and the eggs together using an electric mixer.
- Apply chocolate-stout mixture to egg mixture and whisk just to incorporate.
- Place flour mixture and mix briefly on low speed. Fold batter with a rubber spatula until completely incorporated. Divide batter equally between prepared cake pans.
- Place in the oven and bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of cakes comes out clean, around 35 minutes.
- Once baked, transfer the cakes to wire rack; allow cooling 10 minutes. Then, turn them out onto wire rack and let them cool entirely.
- In the meantime, prepare the icing.
To make the icing:
- In a heavy medium saucepan, bring heavy cream to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Apply chopped chocolate and stir until smooth and melted.
- Place in the fridge for about 2 hours, or just until icing is set; stir from time to time.
- Apply one cake layer on serving dish or plate. Spread icing over the layer (about 2/3 cup). Next, top with 2nd cake layer and apply 2/3 cup cream over. Finally, top with 3rd cake layer and spread remaining cream over top and sides of the layer cake.
- Slice and serve.