Rich, moist, chocolatey, and really yummy! That’s my grandma’s favorite dessert that she usually prepares for holidays and other special occasions. Mama’s deeply chocolate cake is the ultimate dessert in the house and we all love it! Simple and easy, today this is the top dessert in my cooking notebook. Deeply chocolate and delicious! Try it:
Servings 8 – 10
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 ¼ ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- chocolate frosting (homemade or store-bought)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter and flour two 8 x 1 1/2-inch round cake pans, then using a wax paper line the bottoms of both pans. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar with two cups of water; set over high heat and stirring frequently bring to a boil; then remove and transfer to a large bowl. Apply the butter and chocolate and let sit, stirring occasionally, until slightly cooled and well melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs into the chocolate mixture until incorporated. Apply the dry ingredients all at once and whisk until smooth.
- Split the batter evenly among the prepared pans and bake for around 25 minutes, or just until the top springs back when pressed flippantly and a skewer comes out clean. Then, transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Set one cake on a serving dish. Using a metal spatula, spread 1/3 of the frosting evenly over the cake. Top with the 2nd cake; then frost the top and sides with the rest of the frosting. Slice and serve.