This crostata with green tea cream and berries is so specific, creamy, and very delicious! The combination of green tea and blackberries is so unique and refreshing – just ideal for the spring-summer time!
The dessert may sound like it originates from Japan, but I ate this special treat in Rome in a quite luxury restaurant (called Armando al Pantheon) – and I found out that it was initially made in Italy. I really enjoyed its taste, therefore, I tried to find the recipe in order to prepare it at home. After one month of searching and consulting with some chefs from Italy – finally, I got the recipe. So, here it is:
For the crust:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- Zest from 1 lime (or lemon)
For the green tea filling:
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2-ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup crème Fraiche
- 1 ½ teaspoon Match green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
For the topping:
- 1-pint blackberries (or other berries of your choice), pitted and halved
- 1 lime, sliced (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
To make the crostata crust:
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Next, apply the butter into a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Then, scatter the flour mix over the butter. Place the egg and mix until the dough forms a mass (don’t overmix).
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375°F/ 190°C/Gas Mark 5.
- When ready, grease and line crostata/tart pan with ½ the dough – it is important to keep the crust very thin. Chill for 15 minutes. (Keep the rest for another use).
- Next, use an aluminum foil to line the dough and fill with pie weights, beans, or dry rice. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes then remove the weights along with the aluminum foil; return the crostata to the oven for 10 minutes more. Remove from the oven; let it cool on a rack.
To make the green tea filling:
- In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and sprinkle gelatin; combine and let it sit for 3 minutes to soften.
- In a saucepan, add 1/2 cup heavy cream, sugar, cream cheese, and green tea powder and heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Stir until smooth.
- Combine the gelatin mixture with the warm green tea mixture and stir until smooth (whisk until the green tea dissolves completely into the cream). Let it cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining ½ cup heavy cream along with the crème Fraiche until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream mix into the cooled green tea cream. Spread filling into the crust and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, arrange the berries, and lime slices over the top of the crostata. Slice and serve.