This key lime poke cake is so simple and easy to prepare – and what’s most important is so moist, refreshing, and delicious! It took me around 20 minutes to prepare it plus baking time. It goes ideally with ice tea – great as a summer dessert or even breakfast! Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cups water
For the key lime filling:
- 1 can (14 oz.) condensed milk, sweetened
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated
- 1 drop green food color (optional)
- 4 drops yellow food color (optional)
For the frosting:
- 1 container (12 oz.) vanilla frosting
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, finely grated
For garnish (optional):
- Key lime slices
- Fresh strawberries
- Lemon leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/Gas Mark 4 (or 325°F/160°C/Gas Mark 3, for dark or nonstick pan). Next, spray bottom of 13 by 9-in. pan with nonstick spray and slightly grease with flour. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk cake ingredients on low speed 30 sec., then increase to medium speed and whisk 2 minutes. Spread the mixture into pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or just until tester inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove and cool for 5 minutes.
- Next, take a handle of wooden spoon (one-quart to one-half inch in diameter) and poke holes nearly to bottom of cake each 1/2 in., wiping spoon handle occasionally to decrease sticking.
- In a bowl, mix together filling ingredients until thicken). Spread over cake; Refrigerate one hour.
- To finish, spread frosting over cake and sprinkle with lime peel. Decorate as desired.
(Keep loosely covered in refrigerator).