This lemon gelato is so refreshing, sweet, creamy, and very delicious! It has a nice, zesty, unique lemon flavor that will take your breath away! You will need just 20 minutes to prepare it plus freezing time. Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup milk
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- In a small saucepan, heat milk to medium heat and stir in sugar until dissolved. Remove and apply a small amount of hot mix into egg yolks. Then, return all to the pan and heat again, beating constantly. Add lemon zest and cook over low until mix is just until a thermometer reads at least 160° or it gets thick enough to coat a metal spoon. (Don’t allow to boil).
- In that moment, remove from the heat and add in cream and lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl. Wrap with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 5-6 hours (or ideally overnight).
- Fill cylinder of gelato/ice cream freezer 2/3 full and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (place the remaining mixture in the fridge until ready to freeze.)
- Next, transfer gelato to freezer containers, leaving headspace for expansion. Place in the freezer for 2 to 4 hours or until set. Repeat with remaining mix.