This Mediterranean dream cake with citrus and olive oil is so rich, moist and very delicious! Feel the Mediterranean vibe with the taste of this fantastic cake. Simple and easy to prepare it is a great weekend treat idea! You will need 20 minutes to prepare it plus 35 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe:
Servings 8 to 10
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sliced almonds (or other nuts of your choice)
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- ¼ cup whole milk
- To garnish: candid orange slices/whipped cream/almonds (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly oil an 8-in. round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs, sugar, orange zest, and lemon zest until fluffy and pale. Pour in the milk. Slowly whisk in the oil. Apply the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Stir in the nuts.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached around 35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and chill for 15 minutes.
- Then, remove cake and apply to a serving platter. Before serving, sprinkle some powdered sugar over the cake and top with whipped cream and/or sliced almonds (optional).