If you are a fan of creamy and chocolate cakes then this delicious Italian chocolate hazelnut cake is just for you! So, if you like what you see on the photo of this recipe then giving it a try! Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- A pinch of salt
- 14 ounces Nutella (or any other hazelnut spread)
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico liqueur (alternatively you can use rum or water)
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (melted, cooled)
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico liqueur (rum, or water)
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (70% +)
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Next, grease and line a 9-inch springform
- Beat egg whites together with a pinch of salt until stiff – not dry. Then, in a separate bowl, whisk the Nutella and butter. Add in Frangelico, hazelnuts, and egg yolks. Fold in dark chocolate, mix again shortly. Next, fold in the egg whites.
- Apply into prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake for around 40 minutes, until cake starts to come away from the sides of the dish. Cool it on a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- In a saucepan, heat the chocolate, Frangelico/rum/water, and cream. When everything is smooth and well-incorporated remove from heat and whip until thick enough to ice the cake.
- Then, unmold the cake and top it with the icing. Finish with toasted hazelnuts. Slice and serve.