These cute chocolate cupcakes without eggs are rich, moist, and chocolatey – simply perfect chocolate treat. Topped with a delicious chocolate buttercream frosting, these cupcakes are so easy and simple to prepare – plus ideal if you suffer from egg intolerance. You will need 15 minutes to prepare them plus around 15 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe:
For the eggless cupcakes:
- 1 ¾ cups self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- 1/2 cup (113 grams/1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups (250 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
To make the eggless chocolate cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Use liners to line the cupcake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Stir together instant coffee powder and hot water until the coffee is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, apply butter and sugar; beat until well incorporated, creamy and pale. Apply sour cream, buttermilk, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and coffee mixture; whisk until well combined. Fold in flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (make sure do not overmix it).
- Next, divide batter among liners, about 3/4 full each.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool in the pan for 5-7 minutes, then remove from pan and let them cool completely before frosting. In the meantime, prepare the frosting.
To make the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, beat the butter for 2 minutes or just until creamy.
- Then, reduce speed to low and apply cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and heavy cream.
- When all the ingredients are incorporated, increase mixer speed to high and mix for 2 minutes or until you get a nice, smooth and creamy frosting
- Transfer it to a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes. Serve.