This is a chocolate version of the popular pastel de tres leches cake, which tastes amazing! Simple, well-moist, and really delicious, this chocolate tres leches cake is even better than the classic one, especially if you are a chocolate lover, just like I am. It will take you around 20 minutes to make it, plus 25 minutes to cook. Try the following recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 25 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 9 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the milk mixture:
- 14 ounces (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces (1 can) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the chocolate whipped cream:
- 1 ¾ cups heavy cream, whipped
- 100 grams (3.5 oz.) dark chocolate (70%), melted
For garnishing (optional):
- White or milk chocolate shavings, to sprinkle
- cocoa powder, to dust
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Generously grease 2 nonstick square pans (8 by 8 inch each pan or 1 pan 9 by 13-inch).
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Leave aside.
- Next, using an electric mixer, on medium-high speed, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks on medium-high speed until pale yellow and creamy (around 5 minutes). Apply vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Place egg yolks to egg whites and combine stirring slowly so as to not deflate; then apply flour mix to the egg mix folding in gradually so as to not deflate.
- Spread batter equally into prepared pans and bake for around 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, mix together the condensed milk, evaporated milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and half-and-half.
- Remove the cake from the oven and turn out the 2 pans onto separate trays with a rim. Then, poke holes all over in the top of the warm cakes with a fork.
- Pour the 3-milk mix all over the cakes, 1/2 on each cake – allow it soak as pouring.
- Next, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 90 minutes or until serving.
- Before serving, using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form; melt the chocolate in a microwave (high speed, 30 sec. intervals) and pour into the whipped cream; mix briefly to incorporate. Then, spread over the cake.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings or dust with cocoa powder (if desired). Slice and serve.