Cranberries always remind me of Christmas! And this cute and moist cranberry upside-down cake is so ideal for the holiday season. Simple to prepare and very delicious, try the recipe:
- 1 cup sugar
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- finely grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ Gas Mark 4, with rack in middle. Rub the sides and bottom of an 8-in. round cake pan with butter (2 tablespoons).
- In a small bowl, combine together 1/2 cup sugar with the allspice and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over bottom of pan; place cranberries in a single layer on top.
- Next, using an electric mixer, cream remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and 7 tablespoons butter until fluffy and light. Apply vanilla extract and egg; beat until well incorporated.
- In another bowl, combine together flour, salt, and baking powder. Mixing on low speed, apply flour mixture to sugar and butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk, until blended, then add the lemon zest and combine to incorporate.
- Spoon batter over cranberries, and smooth top. Apply pan on a baking paper; bake around 30-35 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 25 minutes, then run a knife around edge of cake and invert onto a rimmed platter. Let it cool completely. Before serving, sprinkle some icing sugar over the cake (if desired), slice and serve.