This moist hazelnut and chocolate cupcakes are so rich, creamy, chocolatey and very delicious! If you are a hazelnut and chocolate fan, then you got to try this recipe! I usually make them on Sunday and refrigerate to have them as a sweet treat or quick breakfast during the work-week. Simple and easy to prepare, here is the recipe:
For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 1 ¼ cup (150 grams) all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (60 grams) sugar
- 7 tablespoons (50 grams) Nutella or some other hazelnut spread
- a pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (120 ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate frosting:
To garnish (optional):
- Chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 300°F /150°C/Gas Mark 2. Prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Next, in a large bowl, apply the dry ingredients and whisk together. Leave aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, buttermilk, and vegetable oil.
- Place the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix until well incorporated.
- Apply the water to the mixture and whisk until well combined. The mixture will be thin.
- Then, fill the cupcake liners around half way and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a tester comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- After that, remove and let them cool for 3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- In the meantime, prepare the frosting according to the recipe. Pipe it onto the cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles or chopped hazelnuts (if desired). Serve.