Rich, creamy, and really delicious this fondant au chocolat or a petit gâteau (which means “small cake” in French) is a chocolate dessert made of a petit chocolate cake with mellow filling and crunchy rind that is traditionally served hot with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on a serving plate.
Today, this dessert is popular all around the world and can be found under different names like a lava cake, hot and cold dessert, etc. However, it is a truly delicious chocolate dessert that deserves attention. So, do not hesitate to surprise your family and friends with this perfect French dessert this weekend. It’s very easy and quick to make – 10 minutes to prepare plus 10 more to bake and voila! Here is the recipe:
- 1 stick butter
- 2 ounces’ semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces’ bittersweet chocolate
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Baking spray to spray the custard cups
- Powdered sugar, to dust
- Strawberry, cherry, mint leaf (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas Mark 7. Using a baking spray, spray 4 custard cups and apply on a baking sheet.
- Add the butter, semisweet chocolate, and bitter bittersweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt in a microwave on high until smooth and melted, around 1 minute. Beat in the sugar until well combined. Whisk in whole eggs and egg yolks, then apply the vanilla extract. Stir in the flour. Split the batter among the custard cups.
- Place in the oven and bake until the centers are soft but the sides are firm around 13 minutes. Let them stand one minute, next invert on individual plates while still warm and serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
- Decorate with strawberries halves, a cherry, and a mint leaf (if desired). Dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.