These cute Pina colada cupcakes with rum buttercream frosting are an ideal dessert for every adult birthday party, especially if you are born in spring or summer. 15th of July is my birthday and for the last 2 years, these cupcakes are a regular part of my party, especially because I really like the Piña colada taste. You will need just 20 minutes to prepare them, plus extra 20 minutes to bake. Here is the recipe:
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup toasted coconut
For rum buttercream frosting:
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut (optional)
- Grilled Pineapple chunks (optional)
- Maraschino Cherries (optional)
To make the pina colada cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Line 24 muffin cups with paper bake cups; leave aside.
- In a bowl, combine together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Next, using an electric mixer, whisk butter on medium to high speed for around 30 seconds. Apply sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk until well-combined, scraping the side of bowl occasionally.
- Place eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Then, in a small bowl, beat together milk, sour cream, and rum. In turn, beat in flour mix and sour cream mix to butter mix, whisking on low speed after every addition until combined (1 minute).
- Stir in almonds and coconut. Spoon batter into the prepared cupcake cups.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes cool in pans on wire racks for about 5 minutes.
- Then, remove them from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
To make the rum buttercream frosting:
- Beat the butter until it is light and fluffy. Next, beat in the sugar, one cup at a time, and whisk until fully, making sure to scrape down the bowl between every cup.
- Then, apply the rum and enough heavy cream or milk until preferred consistency is reached.
- To finish, pipe or spoon frosting onto tops of each cupcake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and decorate with grilled pineapple chunk and/or maraschino cherry (if desired).