This quick vanilla panna cotta with strawberries and grappa is so silky and lovely! By the way, grappa is a popular Italian alcoholic drink, a fragrant, grape-based pomace brandy that contains 35-60% alcohol by volume (70- 120 US proof). You can find it in the larger supermarkets or alcohol stores.
So, If you like the combination of strawberries and alcohol as much as I do – this will easily become one of the most made desserts in your home. Surprise your husband, family, and friends with this incredible treat. Everyone will love it – especially those who like unique but simple panna cotta taste. Remember – it contains alcohol so do not serve it on kids.
- 11 g packet gelatine or 3 gelatine leaves
- 250 ml/8 fl oz. /1 cup whole milk
- 250 ml/8 fl oz. /1 cup double/heavy cream
- 1 vanilla pod/bean, split in half lengthways or few drops vanilla extract
- 25 g/1 oz. / 1/8 cup caster/superfine sugar
- 10 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 30 ml Grappa
- A few strawberries
- 4 mint leaves
- Pour 75 ml/3 fl oz. /5 tbsps. almost-boiling water into a heatproof bowl then sprinkles in the powdered gelatine. Stir until dissolved, then leave to cool. If using gelatine leaves cover the leaves with the water and leave for 20 minutes or until softened.
- In the meantime, place the strawberries into a blender and blend them shortly. Set aside.
- Next, pour the milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan and add the vanilla pod/bean or add the vanilla extract together with the sugar. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat, add the strawberry blend – combine with a spoon; then, stir in the gelatine liquid in a thin, steady stream or add the softened leaves and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool.
- Discard the vanilla pod and pour the milk mixture into four 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup ramekins or small dishes.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour until set. Before serving, add a nice splash of Grappa and decorate with a few strawberries and a mint leaf to each panna cotta.