Beef Braised in Red Wine or stracotto di manzo is a traditional Italian dish that you will definitely love it! Delicious meal with the amazing smell, simply ideal to cook for the holiday season. Following, you can find the recipe:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 kg/2 lb. 4 oz. sewing steak, cut into thick strips
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 300 ml/10 fl. oz. good-quality red wine, such as Chianti
- 2 fresh sage springs
- 225 ml/8 fl. oz. beef stock or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Cooked seasonal green vegetables, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/ 300°F/Gas Mark 2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan, then add the onions and garlic and cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 6-8 minutes, or until soft and brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a casserole.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then add the steak strips and cook over a high heat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, or until brown all over. Sprinkle with the flour and stir well to prevent lumps.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium, then pour in the wine, stirring constantly, and bring to the boil, continuing to stir.
- Carefully turn the contents of the pan into the casserole. Add the sage, stock, and tomato puree, then cover and cook in the center of the preheated oven for 2 ½ – 3 hours. Remove from the oven and discard the sage, then taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley, and with some green vegetables, if using.