- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- A pinch of kosher salt
- In a bowl, beat together the egg yolks; set aside.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, stir the milk and brown sugar until dissolved and comes to a simmer. Then, reduce the temperature to medium-low (don’t remove the saucepan).
- Now, carefully drizzle a little bit of the hot milk mixture to temper the yolks. Next, while slowly stirring, drizzle the egg yolks back into the saucepan with milk mixture.
- Once all added, cook stirring and scraping the bottom for one minute or until thickened.
- Place an ice bath in a small bowl set over a larger one.
- Next, in the medium bowl, apply the bourbon and heavy cream and bourbon and a mesh sieve set over top. Add the custard over the strainer and stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Allow the ice cream base cool completely in the fridge for at least 1 hour (you can make the base a day ahead).
- Churn in the ice cream maker according to its instructions. Freeze in an airtight container for at least 5 hours before serving.